I sit down and have a loooong chat with my new friends Pastaveia and Sean from EcoConsciousLifestyle! They're expecting their first baby and plan to maintain their minimalist lifestyle. I had questions! They are also interested in respectful parenting. I had answers! We also got in to a much needed discussion about how both of these life choices have a distinct impact on us as black parents. Stay tuned to the end where I regale them with my positive birth story in an effort to take the fear out of the big day.
- Pastaveia and Sean are part of the Black Minimalist movement.
- Sean's into this book and Pastaveia is into this book.
- Throughout her plant-based pregnancy Pastevia relied on books and YouTube channels like Mama Glow: A Hip Guide to Your Fabulous Abundant Pregnancy Book by Latham Thomas and also found recipes from Jenne Clairborne's Sweet Potato Soul.
- I go on a rant about why it's especially important for parents of black children NOT to use tough love as a way of preparing them for the "real world." This video explains why that tactic is harmful to all kids.
- Speaking for raising preparing our children for the future. Pastaveia mentioned Brandi Sellerz-Jackson's inspirational blog post about raising carefree black kids.
Website me: www.htgawp.com
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tweet me: @htgawp
Rate and review me: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/how-to-get-away-with-parenting/id1084576130